Submit Data |  Help |  Video Tutorials |  News |  Publications |  FTP Download |  REST API |  Citing RGD |  Contact   

G130V, a common FRDA point mutation, appears to have arisen from a common founder.

Authors: Delatycki, MB  Knight, M  Koenig, M  Cossee, M  Williamson, R  Forrest, SM 
Citation: Delatycki MB, etal., Hum Genet. 1999 Oct;105(4):343-6.
Pubmed: (View Article at PubMed) PMID:10543403

Friedreich ataxia (FRDA) is the most common inherited ataxia. About 98% of mutant alleles have an expansion of a GAA trinucleotide repeat in intron 1 of the affected gene, FRDA. The other 2% are point mutations. Of the 17 point mutations so far described, three appear to be more common. One of these is the G130V mutation in exon 4 of FRDA. G130V, when present with an expanded GAA repeat on the other allele, is associated with an atypical FRDA phenotype. Haplotype analysis was undertaken on the four families who have been described with this mutation. The results suggest a common founder for this mutation. Although marked differences in extragenic marker haplotypes were seen in one family, similar intragenic haplotyping suggests the same mutation founder for this family with the differences explicable by two recombination events.

Annotation

Disease Annotations
Objects Annotated

Additional Information

 
RGD Object Information
RGD ID: 1598961
Created: 2007-01-08
Species: All species
Last Modified: 2007-01-08
Status: ACTIVE



NHLBI Logo

RGD is funded by grant HL64541 from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute on behalf of the NIH.