For years, researchers have used mouse models because the technology for producing rat knockouts simply didn't exist. That is no longer the case. This video gives a brief introduction to the technique of introducing germline mutations into rats using Sleeping Beauty transposons. In addition, information is given about how researchers can access detailed phenotype data for these mutant rat strains.
In this video, Dr. Aron Geurts and Dr. Howard Jacob explain:
- how the Sleeping Beauty transposon technology works to knockout genes in the rat
- how the Program for Genomic Applications at the Medical College of Wisconsin has participated to produce detailed phenotype data for mutant rat strains
- how you can access that phenotype information at the PhysGen website
- how the mutant rat strains are being made available to researchers
- how you suggest a gene to be knocked out
Click here to access the PhysGen website’s phenotype data for mutant rat strains.