Classic Gene Search Help
- Enter gene name, synonym, or symbol in the keyword box
- Change the “Equals”, chromosome, search, or species options to optimize the search.
- More options of associated SSLPs, homologs, Gene Ontology terms, results order, and results per page are found in the “Options” section below the basic search parameters.
- Click the “Find Gene” button to run the search.
Below is a more detailed explanation of each element of the classic search form which will allow you greater flexibility to refine gene searches.
Enter a gene symbol, alias or keyword in the text box (the asterisk '*' is an accepted wildcard) and use the drop-down menu to refine the search with other options:
Restrict the returned genes to ones mapped to a particular chromosome. Excludes genes that are unmapped or mapped to a different chromosome
This option allows restriction of the searched fields and hence the scope of the returned results. The options are:
- Current Symbols (narrowest search)
- Current Symbols/Names
- Current and Withdrawn
- Current & withdrawn & Aliases (broadest and default search)
Limit to genes with associated SSLPs
Restricts the returned genes to ones that have SSLPs (microsatellite markers) associated with them. Associated SSLPs are believed to be in linkage disequilibrium with the gene itself and hence are markers for the gene on genetic and RH maps.
Limit to genes with known Homologs
Restricts the returned genes to ones which have a known homolog (mouse or human) listed in RGD .
Limit to genes annotated to ontology term
Restricts the returned genes to ones that have been annotated to the entered Gene Ontology term.
Results ordered by
- Symbol - returned results are listed alphabetically by gene symbol
- Name - returned results are listed alphabetically by gene name
- Chromosome - returned results are listed by chromosome and then alphabetically by gene symbol
Results per page
Defines the number of genes that are returned on each results page.